Possible to get libXft.so.1 compatibility libraries in FC5?

Ben Matteson bmatteso at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 20 16:00:25 UTC 2006

We've got some tools built for FC4 xorg-x11, and they fail on FC5 Test2.
They require libXft.so.1, so you can't install the RPMs without forcing
them.  But if you do force them, the programs can't find libXft.so.1, so
they fail.

If you try adding a symbolic link from /usr/lib/libXft.so.2
to /usr/lib/libXft.so.1, you get an error like this when running the
program:

some_program: symbol lookup
error: some_program: undefined symbol:
XftPatternGetString

(I didn't expect that this would work, just an example.)

Is it possible to get compatibility libraries for xorg that would
provide libXft.so.1?  I see that Ubuntu has done this which suggests
that's it's possible/reasonable.

I was going to bugzilla this, but would like to run it by the list
first ...

Thank you,
Ben