Single PPC Boot and Rescue ?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Jan 20 20:52:41 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 15:43 -0500, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 15:31 -0500, Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
> > Is there any reason why these two can't be merged into a single disc?
> >
> > FC5-test2-ppc-boot.iso         12-Jan-2006     37M
> > FC5-test2-ppc-rescuecd.iso  12-Jan-2006     103M
> > They just about look identical. Almost anyways; what am I missing?
>
> The rescue disc is identical to the boot disc but it also contains the
> stage 2 image that is used for starting install or rescue mode. Yes,
> this means that the boot disc is completely superfluous; you can achieve
> the same effect with the rescue disc by passing "linux askmethod".

Of course, they're both superfluous in that you can just use disc1 for
either purpose.

Realistically, disc1 vs boot.iso vs rescuecd all have different
purposes.  We should probably have a good description of the distinction
between them that can at least be on the main download page or, even
better, as a README in the directory

Jeremy