FC5T2 - not ready for prime time.

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 00:25:22 UTC 2006

fre, 20 01 2006 kl. 09:03 -0800, skrev Jesse Keating:

> The installer is changing how packages get installed.  In order to move
> forward and be able to handle such things as using Extras at install
> time, or any other repo, the internal bits that install packages and
> resolve deps had to be replaced.  They've been replaced with yum.  So
> all the stuff that interacts with this has to change as well.

I, for one, welcome my new installer overlords - I think it's a vast
improvement over the traditional and welltested Anaconda versions. I'm
quite sure Katz will have it hammered into shape come test3

> We did several smoke tests of test2 prior to sending it to the mirroring
> system.  Multiple installs on multiple hardware platforms, using
> multiple install methods.  Had we ran into something obviously wrong
> like what you are seeing, we would have not shipped Test2 until it got
> fixed.  However we didn't and thus we shipped it.

If people feel that such smoketesting is required, I would heartly
encourage them to try doing a netinstall - the process is speedy (if one
has a good connection) and it gives a great look at how the installer is
coming along.

> The PC market is very tough to satisfy.  There are an infinite number of
> combinations of hardware.  There really isn't enough time ever to test
> each and every one of these platforms before shipping a release,
> especially a test release.  We make a best effort at testing certain
> platforms.  The only way we can touch on more combinations is to release
> software and let you, the community, test.  If you run into bugs, GREAT!
> File it and we'll try to fix it so that the next person using your
> hardware won't run into the problem.

For i386 I'm extremely impressed that I don't hit more bugs, considering
the near infinite combinations of hardware out there and the decades of
workarounds for maldesign and known broken behavior. I assume that
everyone who hits a bug rather than retaining hatred and bile, will file
a bug - how else would it go away, magic?

> So while the bug(s) may seem obvious to you, unless your exact hardware
> is sitting in my cube it isn't going to seem very obvious to me.  I am a
> bit hurt at the implication that we don't even bother to test our
> release before we send it out the door.  We do, and in fact we're
> actively seeking to hire somebody to lead our Fedora QA efforts.  If you
> think you've got what it takes to lead a QA effort, and engage the
> community to leverage community resources for QA efforts, please forward
> me your resume.

If only I had talent.. for now I'll settle for congratulating my buddy
Jesse on a fine first release. FC5t2 is by far the best distro I have
had my hands on lately.

- David Nielsen

--
Obligatory shameless blog plug - The GNOME commentary located at
www.lovesunix.net/blog