Mplayer Deps.

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 17:15:27 UTC 2006

On 1/22/06, David Nielsen <gnomeuser at gmail.com> wrote:

> MPlayer, I'm sure is a fine project - I haven't used it for quite
> sometime since Totem and GStreamer seem much easier to work with, I
> still thing GStreamer as a framework is more the right way to handle the
> multimedia side of things than what Mplayer is doing.

Mplayer uses FFmpeg as a "framework" in this sense.

> I am by far the only person who considers MPlayer upstream hostile, that
> is e.g. the reason stated by Ubuntu on their wiki for selecting a xine
> or gstreamer based default for the coming version of their distro. Or
> try asking the wonderful Telsa about them, I seem to recall some
> colourful quotes on their bughandling from her.

One of the problems with the Mplayer mailing lists is that people with
no endorsement or affiliation from/with Mplayer are trying to help and
sometimes they don't handle things very helpfully at all. This happens
to a certain extent with a lot of open source projects. On occasion a
developer will get annoyed at some adamant person insisting there is a
bug in Mplayer, when, for instance, it is really just a malformed file
they are trying to play.

I don't think anyone here is saying Mplayer should be in Fedora. We
all respect the Fedora Project's decision to keep out patented
technologies. The same would apply with Gstreamer if it was shipping
with support for a bunch of patented codecs.

n0dalus.