FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 22 01:53:05 UTC 2006

David Nielsen wrote:

> I had the misfortune to be contracted to teach Linux to a bunch of 10th
> grades using FC3 a while back - and they assumed naturally that
> "Everything" was somehow superior to a standard desktop install. Asking
> if people want to install everything is kinda similar to asking if they
> want to super size their "meal" (and I use the word in it's vaguest way
> possible), it just sounds better. I'm quite convinced that in the real
> world that option creates more potential problems and bad experiences
> than benefits, especially given the availablity of technology to fill
> the gap.

And there, apparently, is a valuable lesson you failed to teach.

> I'm therefore personally thrilled to see it go the way of the dinosaur -
> if you have special install requirements I'm sure you'll be able to do
> it by hand or if required use kickstart - wonderful technology.

Feel free to disable "everything" in your personal derivative, but let
those who value it have it. Disabling "everything" is fairly simple,
just a minor mod to the comps file (delete or rename the choice) and
rebuild your repository (you do install of the LAN, don't you?).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait