FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Brian D. Carlstrom bdc at carlstrom.com
Sun Jan 22 02:02:22 UTC 2006

John Summerfied writes:
 > Rahul Sundaram wrote:
 > > You are the first for this release.
 > Third today by my count, but I've not been watching closely.

I think its more than that. I'll add my own "me too" to that. I've
refrained until now, although I almost responded to Rahul's message when
I fist saw it

I used to be selective about package installation, but on a recent
machine I just selected everything. The main reason is because I run a
collection of machines for a couple of dozen researchers at Stanford
that do widely different tasks. I used to give them "sudo" access and
tell them the basics of "yum" but they couldn't always guess the package
names and were frustrated because they would need to install packages on
all the machines (although I do provide a script for that.)

I talked to a friend who admins a SUSE cluster that just moved to CentOS
about what he installs for his people and he does the everything
equivalent for similar reasons.

I do have to be a little more on top of [SECURITY] announcements
(although running on PowerPC its not a serious issue most of the time
since I don't know of anyone making linux/ppc specific exploits :)) but
I've also turned on nightly automatic yum updates to minimize being out
of date on something critical if I happen to be away.

However, if its not a choice in the installer, its not a big deal for me
anyway. I'll just add the equivalent yum liner to my new machine
installation instructions. It might actualyl be better since I found
that with the "everything" option I have a long post installation "yum
update" since after a release is out a while most packages seem to be
updated, especially the big ones like openoffice. If anything, that is
an argument for me to have a minimal single CD installation that gets
the rest of the files from online. Stanford runs a mirror that I can use
so its not really a performance issue.

-bri