FC5T2 - not ready for prime time.

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 22 14:16:12 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>> I am not sure. Database performance is a definite bottleneck on many
>>> occasions
>>>

>> On Debian's BTS?
>

> Not specific to one tracking system.
>

>>> Maybe. We cant use presumptions to change a working product.
>>

>> Feel free to ask mdz @ ubuntu.com - he could tell you.
>

> Done ;-)
>

>>> I dont think Red Hat or Fedora is going to dump its entire history of
>>> bugs to move into bts unless bts is far more advanced and provides
>>> capabilities that cannot be inherited into bugzilla.
>>>

>> I don't think I said any thing of that kind.
>

> What are you suggesting then?

I don't like Bugzilla, at least as RH has it implemented. I suggested
bts as a bug tracking system I've found usable.

You could transfer your stuff to bts, but it's probably more sensible to
  look at bts and learn from it.

>> Would that help Mike Harris sort out video problems? I think it would.
>>
>>> Not sure what video problems you are talking about. Got a bug report?
>>> Why dont you ask him whether dumping bugzilla is what is needed to
>>> fix any video problems?. He is not in this list but he is on
>>> fedora-devel list and hangs out all the time in #fedora-devel.
>>>
>> As I recall, Mike spends most of his life these days fighting bugs in
>> xorg software, much as he has since he was hired, I little before
>> Valhalla I think. Whenever anyone has a hardware-related problem (or
>> question), the first question is "What's the hardware?" I know, I ask
>> it on fedora-list often enough, two or three times today at a guess.
>> Surely, Mike asks it too?
>

> Solution to that problem is fixing the darn client interface like
> bugbuddy and the messaging system like XMLRPC to gather information from
> system hardware when bugs are filed. No amount of fiddling bugzilla or
> any other bug tracking system is likely to help there.

If you make bugbuddy talk to BZ that's fine by me. I've not used it as,
when I first saw it, it was set up to talk to Gnome and I didn't think
it the right place to report problems in software shipped by RH.
Similarly, I've not used KDE's crash hander.

If bugbuddy works (or can be made to work) online and offline, and
doesn't require (but can benefit from) a GUI that would be good and
should well perform well from the users's POV.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait