FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 16:02:53 UTC 2006

On 1/22/06, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:
>what's unfortunate is your condescending attitude towards
>folks who are pointing out that they *like* the concept of an
>everything install.  that would include folks like *me*, by the way.
>does that mean you're going to insult me as well?

Most likely, since you seem to be easily insulted, I'll probably be
unable to avoid it.
My mere existence might be an insult to you.  It's difficult for me to
gauge how thin-skinned you are without implementing a destructive
test.  And destructive tests are messy.

> ah.  in other words, you're *going* to support an "everything"
> install, you're just going to make it way more inconvenient than it
> used to be.

Shrug... I'm not going to do anything with regard to the one button
solution.. other than work on problems that have a larger benefit.
Working on getting Core packages into comps groupings coherently has
benefit beyond the issue of the one true install button of power.
It impacts not only the flexibility of the install, but also the
flexibility of post-install package management.  if I stopped to pick
a fight over each and every feature change which was less "less
convenient" for me in the near term, in each and every piece of open
source software that I use.. I'd be doing nothing but complaining and
very very little active contribution.  Having a one-sided argument
with a software maintainer seldom leads to them changing their mind.

Oh and I happen to think an everything install is an absolutely great
idea long term for Core. You drop in the Core installer media and you
get no packaging selection choices at all. You get everything. Of
course in my future Core is a much less flexible set of packages and
there are several other specially purposed Fedora mediasets which
compliment Core.

-jef"I refuse to use Fedora until the tea timer gnome applet is back
in Core!!!!!!!!!!!!!"spaleta