FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Sun Jan 22 16:44:39 UTC 2006

Hi

> I find that the workstation/server "profiles" don't really fit me that
> well. My recollection is that you get to "pick one" and then modify
> it. Maybe a good compromise would be to allow the user to "check off"
> multiple profiles which fit the user's needs. I could select all
> workstation *and* server tools, for example, and my install would then
> be the union of the two profiles.

Are there are packages in these profiles which shouldnt be there? Are
there packages in the Fedora Core which fits into these profiles but are
not there?. If these cases are common then they need to be added there.
If they are unusual you can use kickstart.

> Addressing the second half of my problem, perhaps one of these
> profiles could be "Useful but less-often used utilities", kind of a
> catch-all for stuff like 'nc', 'lsusb'... Perhaps there's criteria
> limiting those packages which qualify for this profile, such as size.
> I suspect that a handful of these types of "profiles" could be fairly
> easily conjured up, and would satisfy most of the users who want an
> "everything-ish" option.

Yes it requires more work addressing these profiles and tuning. Perhaps
you can help in that using the comps work related bugzilla reports
pointed out earlier. Anaconda lists might be a good place if its require
a large amount of discussions.

--
Rahul