Yum Question- FC5T2

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 18:42:28 UTC 2006

On 1/22/06, Linux Counter (li.counter.org) #386711
<pyrophobicman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've already expressed my disgust at the install of FC5T2, now I have
> questions about YUM.
>
> Firstly, will it help me install packages that are on the disks but
> haven't been installed?
> Secondly, How do I use yum without an internet connection?
>
> It seems to lock up without a bug report, looking for internet tables?

Yum uses the internet by default to access the repositories.  The
solution is to copy contents of the CDs (or the isos) and make a local
repository.  However, this isn't very useful with Rawhide since it is
always changing and gets lots of updates.

I don't know if the CDs have a repodata directory.  If not, to make a
repository, you need to run createrepo on the directory where you
copied the files.

createrepo ~/pub/fedora/4/x86_64/os

I do this on my home machine for released versions even though I have
a good connection.  It makes installing packages faster and I don't
have to download packages multiple times.  For example, the baseurl
line in my /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo looks like:

baseurl=file:///scratch/pub/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/os/

 - Ian