FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 22 21:20:13 UTC 2006

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> My point is, the catchall "everything" button which has lived as
> special UI outside of the grouping definitions, is going to be
> ill-defined in future releases when support for repositories other
> than Core is exposed in the installer.  Instead of trying to layer
> functionality into the specialized everything install button which
> tries to figure out if you mean everything in Core or everything in
> Core+Extras or everything in Core+Extras+other repos...

ok, i can see that logic there.  i think that one of the appealing
features of the "everything" selection is that it was great for people
who really weren't sure what some of the package categories meant and
figured they'd just play it safe and grab everything.  then they could
take their time and figure it out later.

if "everything" disappears, i think you *really* want to make sure
there's install-time help available to make sure people can figure out
what a category means.  (yes, i realize they can always install extra
stuff later, but novice users are *always* going to be nervous that
they're going to screw up an install if they forget something.)

rday