FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Justin Conover justin.conover at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 06:23:56 UTC 2006

On 1/22/06, Richard Hally <rhally at mindspring.com> wrote:

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Richard Hally wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,

> >> Or "everything else" is extras or somewhere else.
> >> Consider the proposition that "If it's good enough to be included in
> >> Core it good enough to be installed on my system"
> >
> > Thats too generic. Is all of the software thats available in core needed
> > to be installed simultaneously and is using all of them together a
> > common scenario?
> >
> You(Rahul) still don't get it! It's not about "using them all together"
> at all. Yes, it is about installing "everything" in Core at one
> time(install time!) *easily*. It's a usability / easy-of-use issue. It's
> about giving users the choice. If they want to - let then. Who are you
> to know better than users what they want to do. You can't seem to
> imagine any use cases. Your idea that developers know better than users
> what users want to do is flat wrong and smacks of paternalism.
> >>
> >> Are you forgetting the "non-internet access" use case? Or what about
> >> the person that only has a very slow connection(e.g. dial-up) and
> >> installs his system from the CDs he borrowed from his buddy and
> >> returns them after the install?
> >
> > You realize that work is being done to create ISO images of Fedora
> > Extras packages too. right. Even you could that do that today.
> >
> >> Does kickstart install from CDs?
> >>
> >> BTW, there is a bugzilla for kickstart not working with an everything
> >> selection.
> >
> > Report number?
>
> Search on "anaconda everything".
>

> >> And what makes Rahul think he knows the difference better than others?
> >> (wink,wink)
> >>
> > Oh please guys. Listen before responding. I presented very detailed
> > reasons why I think it is not a good thing.
> And all those reasons are bogus and do not apply to the usability/ease
> of use of the package selection part of the installer.
>
>   Now will any of you present
> > a few different use cases that make it obsoletely require within the
> > single click in the installer GUI itself instead of merely lobbying for
> > a change without specifying the reasons why you use this option at all.
>
> Several people have already given you "use cases" but this is not about
> your opinion that an "everything" install is not useful. It's about
> those users that want to do it (in spite of your opinion) being able to
> do it easily. Trying to make it difficult is just arrogance!
>
> HTH
> Richard Hally

yum --exclude='jeff|Rahul' update users reading

I think many of you are missing the key point that is being made of "why"
everything "click" is not good "NOW", not in the past, not in fc4/3/2/1 but
now and beyond.

At some point, probably fc6 an "EVERYTHING" install could end up pulling in
Extras and possibly some other 3rd party repos (which will be intresting for
the users that don't know about mix'n'match of certian ones).  Which means
it will get freaking UGLY if you do EVERYTHING.

Instead of trying to maybe lessen the number of install cd/dvd's Fedora will
end up looking like Debian Sarge, if you don't know what that means, Debian
Sarge has 14 Cd's or 2 DVD's now,

FOURTEEN!!!!!  Do you really want to sit on your pipe while 14 iso's are
pulled down just so you can click EVERYTHING?  Because in the future that is
what your asking for now.

Me, I want one iso. Core + Gnome   I'll use yum for the rest because guess
what, thats what it does it d/l handles dep's with out the need to d/l iso
after iso to grab a few rpm's here and there.  with pup/piruit the user can
be new and not even have to know yum exist and open up a cli if that grabs
them.

If you just have to have that much software installed and affraid you might
loose interent connection, start rsync'n the mirror to your local drive.
Apparently space isn't a concern because one of these days the everything
(click on every peice of software known to be on a fedora) install which I
dunno, guessing is up to 6-7gb by now will start hitting 10gb in the future.

Anyway, the rants over but a lot of you are missing the key points that Jeff
and Rahul are bring up (maybe some others, thread is up to 113 emails now,
I'm not searching).  Someday, everything is going to be so huge and ugly to
do it would be nuts.

Don't just look at today, look down the road at what is going on and what is
trying to be done.