Yum Question- FC5T2

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 23 15:56:03 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

>On 1/22/06, Brian D. Carlstrom <bdc at carlstrom.com> wrote:
>

>>Is there no way to do a union mount that would merge the trees?
>>Or was this only in *BSD?
>>

>You have surpassed my personal experience with this question. I'll be
>more than happy to admit I'm mistaken if there is a better solution
>available.
>
>-jef

Hmmn, if man mount is up2date, linux mount can't do union mounts (but
does support a lot of other filesystems). At one stage I was trying to
achieve a similar result, and found that --bind and --move weren't what
I was after, then came across a description of union mounts. It sounds
very powerful, and would easily solve the problem of making all the RPMS
folder off 4 CDs appear to be in the one folder.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2003-October/msg00843.html

So, looks like the repodata on the DVD is will be the easiest method...

 From a quick perusal of the primary.xml, location can be used to give
not just the current directory, but also a relative path:
<location xml:base="media://1137085374.184993#5"
href="Fedora/RPMS/xml-commons-apis-javadoc-1.0-0.b2.7jpp_4fc.i386.rpm"/>

I guess this means cd5 /Fedora/RPMS will be used.

Does anybody know if the href can be a relative path that includes up dirs:
eg: href="../../disc2/Fedora/RPMS/....rpm" ? Perhaps this would allow a
tool to generate an appropriate primary.xml with cd based mounted iso
images as the target.

DaveT.