FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Richard Hally rhally at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 23 16:51:47 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>

>>> Please explain what is good about the everything installation option.
>>> Dont throw around vague notions.
>>>

>> It saves me time when selecting packages to install.
>
> Which ones?

All of them, dummy. Duh! That is what we are talking about.

>> It saves me time to not have to install packages individually.
>
> What are you using your system for?. Is it a
> desktop/workstation/server/development system?. Doesnt it fit into one
> of these profiles?

No it doesn't fit into one of those "profiles". I am (and have been
since FC1) using it for Test and Evaluation of SELinux. *One* of the
things I am looking at is how well this pervasive technology integrates
with a reasonable sized distribution/OS. Also, I'm trying to see what
the maintenance burden is when a large number of programs/packages are
in play. For example, what will it take to keep policy current for all
the package changes coming through rawhide?

>> I don't have to download packages (via yum or whatever) that have
>> already been downloaded in the isos.
>
> You cant work with them using the current tools provided anyway. Thats
> what we are trying to fix already. If you dont use yum to keep yourself
> updated installing everything is dangareous since it brings in potential
> security issues with packages you wouldnt even use.

This one is about *download*. see if you can follow this. All the rpms
in Core get downloaded within the isos. If I install them *all* I don't
need to use yum(i.e download it again) to install anything.
Downloading *updates* is a different thing. I *update* my "everything"
installation from rawhide every day.

>> I don't need a kickstart file.
>
>> I don't need to waste space on disk with rpms when I already have the
>> package installed from the initial installation.
>
> You waste disk space by installing packages you wouldnt use. You will to
> keep packages updated. Performance would do down with deamons and other
> session programs. You would be installing tons of world languages which
> you wouldnt be using and so on.

Wrong again! I use all the packages. Maybe not the way your mind thinks
but I use them. Who are you to judge?