su - root not workonh anymore

Günter Schmidt gsc.news at online.de
Mon Jan 23 20:43:00 UTC 2006

Ola Thoresen wrote:

>2006-01-22 G?nter Schmidt <gsc.news at online.de> wrote
>

>>Since the latest 'yum update' I cant execute 'su - root' anymore.
>>Even the combination Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login:root can login to root.
>>
>>I can get root access only if I login as root into the graphical desktop.
>>
>>gsc at erica(23)$ strace su - root
>>execve("/bin/su", ["su", "-", "root"], [/* 38 vars */]) = 0
>>

><snip>
>

>>connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = -1
>>EACCES (Permission denied)
>>

>hmm..
>

>>open("/etc/passwd", O_RDONLY)           = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
>>

>hmm!!
>

>>write(2, "user root does not exist", 24) = 24
>>

>Seems like you have some serious permission problems.

Yes, and I don't know how this happened, perhaps while I had Centos4
booted and accessed
the FC5 partition.

>Have you checked the regular file permissions and selinux context for
>these files?
>
>(ls -lZ /etc/passwd and /var/run/nscd/socket)

No, not with -Z (I have to learn this option :-). The normal file
permissions had been ok.
But after disabling selinux another 'yum update', touch /.autorelabel,
reenable selinux
and reboot, 'su - root' is working again.
With selinux enabled, the error messages are not really usefull.

Regards,
Günter.