FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Tue Jan 24 00:32:28 UTC 2006

Hi

>I like this.  This is great.  Security does matter.
>but considering the threats out there, what is the
>probability that your machine(home machine) will get
>compromised?

My home system is really irrelevant to the conversation but if you mean
in general user home systems then there is a good amount of potential
there.

>I do care about security issues and I am rethinking
>what you are telling me, but say you are not going to
>connect that machine with the everything install to
>the internet.  You just want it for your
>nephews/nieces to play games/word process, listen to
>music, watch movies, etc.  How is the "everything
>installed" gonna hurt here with security?

Any belief that security is only important in the networked systems and
home users dont need it is invalid. That kind of sloppy thinking would
cause way too many problems. You will continue to see increased security
focus on providing home user desktops through efforts like SELinux.

>Now the thing changes a little if you have a server
>running and that machine gets connected to the
>internet with a fast connection, then it does matter
>so I get your point.  You need to have it constantly
>updating, otherwise your system could become
>compromised.

Security is not exclusive for servers. It in increasingly important for
the desktops too. Its relatively hard problem since servers are highly
targeted compared to desktops but doesnt mean we should just give up and
not care about that particular segment of the Fedora user base.

--
Rahul