Installer option to install everything / little, was Re: FC5T2 ready ...

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 02:02:24 UTC 2006

On 1/24/06, David Timms <dtimms at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Rahul: would a method to achieve lots of peoples goals like the one
> above not kill multiple birds with the one stone: ?
> 1. The UI stays neet, no special checkboxes.
> 2. Normal users probably wont find the option (hidden in a right click),
> reducing it's actual use to special case where people need it, and
> who'll learn how to do it.
> 3. Makes it much quicker for the user to install none of the options
> within a category.
> 4. Makes it much quicker for the user to install all options within a
> category. (even if only to have a minimum no of packages to unselect to
> get ehat you really wanted).
> 5. Make it easy to select the installers defaults again.
> What say you all ?

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a kickstart just change
certain defaults in the install but let you go through the graphical
installation process normally?

It might be possible, instead of having a hidden option, to just ship
a few kickstart configs on the CD/DVD.

Then you would boot the installer with something like:
linux ks=cdrom:/kickstart/minimal.cfg

I have only read about people using kickstart for fully configured and
non-automated installs, so I don't know if this is possible. It would
be really great if it was though.

n0dalus.