GRUB not written to MBR - rewrite problem

Claude Jones cjones at patriot.net
Wed Jan 25 01:08:32 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 6:24 pm, Claude Jones wrote:
> after I
> "chroot /mnt/sysimage" and type "grub-install /dev/hda" I get the
> following:
>
> "/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 does not have any corresponding BIOS
> drive"
>
> Can anyone suggest something? I get the same message if I try to write GRUB
> to /dev/sda by the way...

To update, I just tried a new fresh install, letting FC5 take the whole
external drive and taking all default partitioning. It acted as if it was
writing GRUB at the end, but, it failed. Booting into rescue mode again, as
above, got the same message again, as above. While booting into rescue mode,
there are messages about loading a USB storage device and ohci, and it finds
the installed instance of FC5 on the USB drive, but, then, I get that message
about not having any corresponding BIOS drive when I try to write GRUB to
either the internal or external drive -- seems a bit strange...
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA