GRUB not written to MBR - rewrite problem

Claude Jones cjones at patriot.net
Wed Jan 25 01:26:17 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 8:09 pm, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 20:02 -0500, Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
> > > "chroot /mnt/sysimage" and type "grub-install /dev/hda" I get the
> >
> > Shouldn't that be grub-install /dev/sda ???
>
> No, it should be grub.  Use the interactive grub if you want to manually
> install grub.  grub-install is b0rked.  In many more ways than one.

To reply to both of you: I want to install grub to my MBR, the internal hard
drive of my laptop, so that makes it hda; I did try to also install it to
sda, but with the same results.

I typed "grub" and got the grub prompt; I typed "help" and got the command
list, but it makes no sense to me  - could you point me at a page that would
explain this? "man grub" yields nothing. I'm looking...
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA