FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

David Boles dgboles at comcast.net
Thu Jan 26 00:35:04 UTC 2006

Horst von Brand wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> Correct, It doesn't fit.  My usage profile (like many others on this
>>> list) is a superset of those categories.
>>> I've found that none of the existing profiles suits my needs.
>>> They each have something missing.  My laptop is:
>>> - a desktop,
>>> - a workstation,
>>> - a server
>>> - a development system.
>>>
>>> Because I use the 'desktop' of my 'workstation' to 'develop' 'server'
>>> applications.
>
>> Question is whether this use case is usual enough to justify adding
>> more options to the installer. There always will be users who dont fit
>> into one of the usual profiles that will have to use kickstart. That
>> is one of the major reasons it exists really. We can modify the
>> profiles and fine tune them to specific level or build separate
>> targets like Fedora Server, Fedora Desktop and so on and you can do a
>> everything installation.
>
> And allowing several selections at the same time?

Let us now go into the world of 'I want'.

If he gets an <INSTALL EVERYTHING> button I want a <SELECT EVERYTHING YOU DO
NOT WANT WHILE WE INSTALL EVERYTHING> button to be an option of his.  This
said with a smile.

I do not understand why you would want to install everything. Five?, or more,
officesuites when I can chose the one I want from the CD/DVD? Or browsers. Or
email clients. Or anything? Servers? Apache? How many firewalls do you need?
How many locales? How many desktops? Screensavers? And on and on. The list is
almost as long as this thread.

I think this thread is a troll and that means it just hit the /dev/null list.

--

  David