Sound Input

glenn gsimpson at mountaincable.net
Thu Jan 26 17:07:53 UTC 2006

Thomas J. Baker wrote:
> In trying ekiga, I discovered that I can't get any program to receive
> input from the mic. I'm using emu10k1 with a sound blaster live and I've
> tried both ekiga and audacity. I can hear the mic sound on the sound
> output but I can't get the sound into either program.
>
> I'm not sure where to file a bug. alsa-lib?
>
> tjb

I haven't tried your app, but I have been a regular user of VOIP and
this may help.

On the sound mixer you will need the 'master' and 'pcm' set to abt 85%
to hear sound.  You will likely need 'mic select' set to 1, and 'mic
boost 20 db' enabled to get a reasonable level.  This combo should let
you hear the mic on you host audio out device.

You will need 'capture' enabled and the level could be started at 50%.
This will cause input audio to appear in you audio channel out to the
external world.  In my experience, 'capture' level will auto adjust to
the level of your audio input unless you disable it with the symbol on
the left below you 'capture' level bar.

Good luck and hope this helps

--
Glenn