FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Claude Jones cjones at patriot.net
Thu Jan 26 19:17:26 UTC 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 1:16 pm, Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
> Since we are on pennies and dime opinions ...
>
> I have been using Unix since 1990 and teaching Linux since RedHat 5
> and I must disagree.  The everything install has repeatedly proven to
> be a "bad idea" for a long time - both on Unix and especially on
> Linux.  Placing it "all on there" is a IMHO lazy approach.  Sorry.

Sorry, but I disagree with you... Use of that phrase doesn't close that
particular door.

You have a right to your position. I acknowledge the soundness of many of your
arguments. But I must still say, so what? If your AND my preferences can be
accommodated, why have this endless discussion. Make the everything install a
hidden option - attach a BIG disclaimer/warning to its use. Is there any
coder on this list who can say whether this is a big deal? This would be the
second request on this. Obviously, if it is a huge deal to reinsert that
option, that's a separate matter.

We seem to have two camps firmly entrenched in the opposition to
"everything's" reinstatement; the 'sound practices' camp advocated in
Chasecreek's post, and the "we don't want to waste endless time supporting
people's bad decisions" camp, suggested by Rahul and others.

I don't personally choose to endlessly debate the pros/cons of this. I, and
others, have made a simple request - keep the option. Hide it, disclaim it,
do whatever it takes to mollify the objections of the opposing camps, but
don't force your preferences on me. Can someone tell me what's wrong with
accommodating the folks holding EITHER position? Why must it be either/or?
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA