Sound Input

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 15:44:03 UTC 2006

On Friday 27 Jan 2006 15:23, Thomas J. Baker wrote:

> So my test system dual boots ubuntu dapper and fc5 and under ubuntu,
> sound works fine. I can record from the mic using audacity. They
> don't have ekiga in the main repositories yet so I couldn't test
> that.
>
> On a laptop with a different sound card and FC5, things work as
> expected, both ekiga and audacity can get sound input from the mic.
>
> It seems FC5 has trouble with the emu10k1 driver and some sound
> cards. On two different versions of the SB Live card on two of my
> test systems, sound input fails with FC5. (#179109)
>
> I've had a long standing problem with FC4 and audigy cards on two of
> my systems where the gnome mixer doesn't have any idea about the
> capture side, there is no capture tab no matter what I enable.
> (#155093 for no initial sound, #179113 for no capture tab)

In case it helps, here are some snippets from a thread on the alsa-users
list, regarding audigy:

If you hear your tv card, then for capture set "Analog Mix Capture
Volume" in alsamixer (or amixer).  (Peter Zubaj)

>But shouldn't I be able to hit space bar to set line in as the capture
>source in alsamixer?

I think this is there only for compatibility reason. This feature
supports only soundcards based on AC97 codec.

> I am not able to set capture source on anything at all.

There aren't any. You need to set capture volume to source what you
need record and capture volume for others to 0.

> I mute the Line in, but it's slider is still 100%. I get nothing.

This is how Audigy works. All analog sources are mixed together (and
they use playback volumes) and only this mix can be captured (under
windows it is same). !!! Line In, CD, ... affect both playback and
recording. (Peter Zubaj)

Egads. I just figured it out.

I have 2 analog mix channels.

1. Analog mix.
2. Analog mix capture.

I have to turn line in up to 100%, unmute it. Then I have to turn Analog
mix to 0% and turn Analog Mix Capture to 100%.

Now I can do the aplay /dev/dsp0 thing and get the trippy echo effects
without having to hear the "live" input.

And the arecord recording now works, too, without having to hear the
line input "live". (original questionner)

Also:
For Audigy - these are digital controls:
Front, Rear, Center, LFE, PCM, Music, Mic, Audigy CD, IEC958 Optical,
Line2, Analog Mix, Aux2, PCM Front, PCM Rear, PCM Center, PCM LFE, PCM
Capture, Music Capture, Mic Capture, Audigy CD Capture, IEC958 Optical
Capture, Line2 Capture, Analog Mix Capture, Aux2 Capture.
If they are not at 100% they will lower precision.

For SB Live - PCM, Master are analog controls, Wave * are digital (Peter
Zubaj)

Sorry, missed this.
On Audigy - digital - controls all channels
On SB Live - analog - controls front channels only (Peter Zubaj)

Another thread:

> > After the big fight some time ago I made alsa work. But a couple of
> > weeks ago I updated my system to Fedora 2 with kernel 2.6. During
> > installation the soundcard was properly detected and I listened the
> > test sound. But after that, I didnt got any sound.
> > I have checked the file permission in dev, checked the modules,
> > updated kernel up to 2.6.7, changed volume with alsamixer, but I
cant
> > find a problem and my card is still totally mute.
> > Can somebody give me an idea?
>
> Did you unmute the relevant channels in alsamixer (toggle with 'm'
key)?

Hmm, turning off Audigy analog/Digital output jack channel solved the
problem.
That was an strange, didnt happened the first time i installed alsa.
Thanks a lot.
________
Maybe something there will help you?

Anne