Kernel updates not "taking"

Richard Hally rhally at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 27 19:39:51 UTC 2006

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Friday 27 January 2006 11:33 am, Richard Hally wrote:
>> Claude Jones wrote:
>>> I brought this up yesterday, perhaps in the wrong thread. I have the 1826
>>> and 1878 kernels. Yesterday, I had the 1872 and 1826. When the 1872 was
>>> installed, it never was offered as an option at startup. If I'd tap the
>>> keyboard to get the list, 1872 was not there. After boot-up, I see the
>>> kernel in /boot and it is listed in menu.lst and grub.conf. Samething
>>> again this am - my machine is updated to 1878. I see messages about 1872
>>> being removed. 1878 is now in /boot and is listed in menu.lst and
>>> grub.conf. BUT, on startup, it is not in the list - only 1826 is
>>> offered...
>>>
>>> Anyone know what's up?
>> Take a look at /boot/grub/grub.conf and see if there is a "hiddenmenu"
>> in it. If so comment it out and see if you get different behavior.
>> Also, you could look at /etc/yum/[pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf and try
>> setting "enabled" = 0.
>
> "hiddenmenu" was there - I commented it out and rebooted, but still no 1878
> offered - I tried manually editing the boot lines to change to 1878, but that
> didn't work, for reasons I didn't investigate, yet - so I still booted into
> 1826
>
> I've changed the setting in installonlyn.conf to enabled=0 (it was set to 1)
> Should I presume that this setting will affect the next time I update, but
> should have no effect on present circumstances?

Correct, but installonlyn may be doing something to the grub menu (or
something related) when it does it's thing. So with it disabled you may
see different results after the next update.
Of course, with installonlyn disabled you will need to remove kernels
(and kernel-devel if you use it) manually.

HTH
Richard