Broadcom BCM43xx appears in system-config-network as eth1 in FC5T2

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Fri Jan 27 21:04:18 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 02:01:01PM -0700, Stanton Finley wrote:
 > System-config-network correctly picks up my onboard Broadcom Corporation
 > BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02) but
 > identifies it as eth1.
 >
 > When I enter the correct WEP information and try to activate it fails.
 > FC4 running on this same machine with ndiswrapper identified it as wlan0
 > and worked well.
 >
 > When I select "Activate device when computer starts" and reboot the boot
 > message for this device is "SCIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory".
 >
 > I am running FC5test2 with kernel 2.6.15-1.1878_FC5-i686.
 >
 > I understand that there is an open source Broadcom driver being
 > developed at bcm43xx.berlios.de. Are there plans to incorporate this
 > driver into the FC5 kernel?

That's what's showing up as your 'eth1'.
My guess is that as you were unaware of what was going on,
you don't have the firmware installed.  You'll need to get fwcutter
from the bcm43xx website, and feed it a windows driver to suck
out the necessary firmware blobs, and drop them into /lib/firmware

		Dave