Fedora Targets

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 19:39:48 UTC 2006

On 1/28/06, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 22:36 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > >

> > Not kidding at all.  Today Fedora Core is a 4 to 5 CD's. If a user wants
> > only the server packages or only the KDE packages they wouldnt know
> > which CD's to download. It isnt obviously labelled or documented. What I
> > am proposing is splitting up the CD's into specific targets. Fedora
> > Server, Fedora Desktop, Fedora Edutainment etc that is self hosting with
> > a base group that brings in compatibility between these different
> > targets but it would waste some space.. Th user who wants just a desktop
> > or a server can download a single CD. By default anaconda wouldnt offer
> > any  package selection and install everything in the CD which would only
> > offer a single default browser, single mail client, DE etc. A advanced
> > option during installation can allow you to do something thats similar
> > to the current setup that will allow user to select different groups
> > such as desktop, workstation, server etc. When clicking on a group that
> > is not provided within the current CD the installer would indicate that
> > additional CD's are required or alternatively pull packages from the
> > network (nfs/http/ftp ...).
> >

> > --
> > Rahul
> >

> Sounds like an interesting option to me.
> How about:
> CD1. Base desktop.
> CD1. Server tools.
> CD3. Office and Java.
> CD4. Development tools.
> CD5. KDE.
> CD6. Extra snapshot.
> etc

I would like to second that. The Extra Snapshot might need to be more
than 1 cd.. and the rest is semantics [and what can cause the greatest
heartaches.. I mean I would prefer

CD1 Minimal Fedora System/Rescue system
CD2 Gnome Desktop tools
CD3 KDE Desktop tools
CD4 Services and tools
CD5 Development Tools
CD6 Extras 1 snapshot.
CD7 Extras 2 snapshot.

CD1, CD2, CD3 could be 1 DVD and CD4,5,6,7 could be a second DVD

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator