Ask on logout not working in gnome

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jan 28 21:45:20 UTC 2006

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>>
>>> If I click the menu entry Shutdown, then if I click either "reboot"
>>> or "shutdown" I get a new gdm login screen.  The only way I see to
>>> reboot now is CLI reboot.
>>>

> <snip>
>
>> I get the same thing when I use the logout. I guess it is another
>> reason to become repelled from the needless and stupid changes made in
>> GNOME.
>>
>> The next change will be a bunch of questions regarding your intent to
>> logout and shutdown your computer.
>

> <snip>
>
>> Is this a bug or another annoying change to GNOME?
>>
>> Jim
>>

> After today's (1/28/05) rawhide update, reboot is working.  However, the
> sessions startup programs disappeared.  Put them back in and noticed
> that on the sessions tab the check box for "ask on logout" was checked.
>  However, on logout, am not being asked.  Also, gnome takes a
> significantly longer time to come up now.  Guess that is due to debugging?

I can live with this change. I however think adding a "top" output and a
warning regarding critical daemons running tasks would be a welcome
progression for GNOME to head toward.
Trimming down the three choices for GNOME logout for runlevel 3 was at
first a step that bothered me. I liked logging into the console, then
closing down from the GUI directly. I later adjusted to liking the
safeguard where I would need to type poweroff at the commandline in
order to shutdown. I sometimes had programs or tasks running that the
extra step gave me a recall to regard the possibility ther could be
something critical running.
Currently, I boot runlevel 5 with the auto-login feature used, Most
tasks are launched in gnome-terminals unless I feel that I would want to
leave them running after I logged out of X. Being that one now never
logs out of X but back to the GUI login manager, it could be noted as a
safeguard, in case there is some important task running.

Changes are alright in my regard, Suppressing the initial impact is not
easily handled though when you get one of the new "features" tossed out
from the program maintainers.

Thanks for the info, I won't file against this. I guess it is up to the
user viewpoint as to whether this action is a bug. The zero seconds to
logout are most likely unintended application behaviour.

Jim

--
A gambler's biggest thrill is winning a bet.
His next biggest thrill is losing a bet.