FC5T2 issues with GLUT

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 22:00:51 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm taking a class on computer graphics and we are using GLUT to
develop OpenGL programs.  There seems to be a problem with GLUT on
FC5T2 x86_64 (currently updated).  Compiling a simple OpenGL program
with GLUT and running it produces:
$ ./gltest
./gltest: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot
enable executable stack as shared object requires: Permission denied
Disabling SELinux yields:
$ ./gltest
freeglut (./gltest):  ERROR:  Internal error <Visual with necessary
capabilities not found> in function fgOpenWindow
X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  4 (X_DestroyWindow)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  16

Versions:
$ rpm -qa | grep glut | grep x86_64
freeglut-2.4.0-2.1.x86_64
freeglut-devel-2.4.0-2.1.x86_64

$ rpm -qa | grep GL | grep x86_64
mesa-libGL-6.4.1-5.x86_64
mesa-libGLU-devel-6.4.1-5.x86_64
mesa-libGLw-6.4.1-5.x86_64
mesa-libGL-devel-6.4.1-5.x86_64
mesa-libGLU-6.4.1-5.x86_64
mesa-libGLw-devel-6.4.1-5.x86_64

I have an nVidia graphics card, but am only using the nv driver for
testing so far.   Looking back at the errors, the message "Visual with
necessary capabilities not found" looks suspicious.  The program I'm
running is simple and runs on some machines that do not have 3d
accelerated drivers.  Either way, the first error from SELinux does
not look good.  I can use "execstack -s gltest" to get around that
with SELinux still enabled (but get the same error as with SELinux
disabled).
Below is the program I'm running, it just brings up a window and draws
a line segment.  Just in case someone wants to try it out.

Jonathan

$ cat gltest.c
#include <GL/glut.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>

void LineSegment( void )
{
        glClear( GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT );

        glColor3f( 1.0, 0.0, 0.0 );
        glBegin( GL_LINES );
                glVertex2i( 180, 15 );
                glVertex2i( 10, 145 );
        glEnd();

        glFlush();
}

int main( int argc, char *argv[] )
{
        glutInit( &argc, argv );
        glutInitDisplayMode( GLUT_SINGLE | GLUT_RGB );
        glutInitWindowPosition( 50, 100 );
        glutInitWindowSize( 400, 300 );
        glutCreateWindow( "An Example OpenGL Program" );

        glClearColor( 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.0 );
        glMatrixMode( GL_PROJECTION );
        gluOrtho2D( 0.0, 200.0, 0.0, 150.0 );

        glutDisplayFunc( LineSegment );