FC5 - Encrypted File Systems?

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Mon Jan 30 14:25:52 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I am trying to get a sense of the current status/plans for FC5 with
respect to encrypted file systems.

I have read through the relevant section at the bottom of:

   http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC5Future

along with the Bugzilla entries listed there and the current Release
Notes for FC5-T2.

I also read the article at:

   http://www.redhat.com/magazine/012oct05/features/hal/

which is intriguing.

Is it not clear to me how to differentiate planned enhancements versus
what has actually been implemented with respect to the changes for FC5.

I am presently using FC4 and have implemented encrypted partitions using
dm-crypt/LUKS as per:

   http://www.saout.de/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php

My sense is that the plans include better integration with existing
utilities providing more streamlined mounting (including boot time) of
encrypted partitions.

Can anybody comment on the current status?

Thanks,

Marc Schwartz