How to get WPA-Support with NetworkManager?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Jan 30 18:56:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 01:46:42PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
 > On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 10:38 -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
 > > On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 13:33 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
 > > >
 > > > That is correct, but it only requires one small non-invasive driver
 > > > patch to make WPA available.  This patch should make FC5 final, so
 > > > you'll be fine once FC5 comes out.
 > >
 > > No chance of getting this patch in before Test3 so that a wider range of
 > > users will test it?
 >
 > Well, it first goes to wireless-2.6 (linville), then pulled to
 > netdev-2.6 (jgarzik), then pulled to torvalds-2.6 (linus) before davej
 > pulls it down for the Fedora Kernel.  That's at least a week or so,
 > maybe more.  Although the patch is quite trivial and doesn't affect
 > operation in any way, so maybe davej would accept it for Fedora kernels
 > before it hits Linus' tree.

We need to lower the latency of getting patches like this into the Fedora kernel.
I'm toying with the idea of pulling in some of the -git trees directly.
If it's in a maintainers -git tree, chances are it's going to end up upstream
really soon, so I don't think this is diverging from our 'upstream first' policy,
but more.. taking a short-cut.

		Dave