How to get WPA-Support with NetworkManager?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Jan 30 19:12:11 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 02:02:08PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
 > > We need to lower the latency of getting patches like this into the Fedora kernel.
 > > I'm toying with the idea of pulling in some of the -git trees directly.
 > > If it's in a maintainers -git tree, chances are it's going to end up upstream
 > > really soon, so I don't think this is diverging from our 'upstream first' policy,
 > > but more.. taking a short-cut.
 >
 > Yeah, I expect to send patches like this off to netdev-2.6/wireless-2.6
 > first of course (which I've just done).  What's the usual lag time
 > between when something is in netdev and then shows up in the upstream
 > kernels?

There's no real pattern to it., other than "whenever Jeff feels there's
enough pending stuff, or some importnat bits turned up"
The same is true for other maintainers too. Some of them sit on stuff and
only push bits to Linus once per point release, which is a real pain if there's
a small bugfix there that only a minority need, but the maintainer deemed
'not worth pushing again'.  And then there are the rock star maintainers that
seem to push changes as soon as they come in. (or after a short spin in -mm)

 > I think its about 1 - 2 weeks, depending.  Does that make the
 > FC5 window?

For this patch, I'll just merge it in todays build.

		Dave