Please strip out the patch that brings up applications behind gnome-terminal

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 23:12:25 UTC 2006

On 1/31/06, Miles Lane <miles.lane at gmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot understand why on earth xorg or Gnome
> has been changed to render new application behind
> gnome-terminal.  Every time I run a program (surprise!)
> I want to use it.  I don't want to keep playing around
> with gnome-terminal.  So, can we please strip this
> change out of Fedora Core?

I much prefer the new behavior.  I used to always have trouble typing
going into the wrong window when a new application started while I was
typing into another.  No more sending the root password over IM.
Personally, I think apps should show above but never ever take focus.
I am pretty sure apps can say that their modal dialogs should show
above and get focus so they don't end up hidden.

This is the upstream behavior of metacity 2.10.  I don't think there
is a gconf key to customzie the behavior.  You could use a different
window manager which can be customized.  I think kwin, the KDE window
manager, allows focus stealing prevention to be customized.

 - Ian