DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 7 23:20:54 UTC 2006

On 07 5:37:S, Rahul wrote:
> Tom Brinkman wrote:

> >    As I said, other distros solved the qt? / gtk? / dpi font
> > disparities quite a while ago.  Seems just borrowing their
> > (Mdv) 'fixes' would be better than reinventing the wheel.
> >
> >    Since switchin to FC, I jus figured FC hasn't done it since
> > KDE seems to be treated like a junk yard dog in Fedora. Still a
> > lot of FC users use KDE, but like me, many Gnome apps too. An
> > it seems to me this is more important that searchin for a
> > default font.
>
> Its not searching for a default font. Its considering switching
> to a new one. If you think there are other things more important,
> contribute. You arent being particularly helpful calling KDE a
> junk yard.
>
> Rahul

   Somethin must of got lost in translation Rahul. 'treated like a
junk yard dog' means 'like a step child', or at best 'put on a back
burner'... IE, sort'a ignored, left alone. Which is my perception
of FC attitude towards KDE. YMMV

   Fact remains that if a user chooses to use KDE with FC, the fonts
in KDE are easily configured. Not so for Gnome (gtk) apps the KDE
user might also choose to run.  Runnin g-f-p (in a term right after
boot), with g-f-p already configured from the default 96 dpi (87
for my monitor), fonts an their pt sizes already chosen, pixel
smoothin choices configured... will make Gnome apps under KDE (the
apps defaults like menu, tool bar, task bar, etc.) comparable to
KDE choices. Any font. Rather than tiny to the point of being
unreadable for old folks with poor eyes like me. Specially with
bigger high res monitors.

   The solution is to run g-f-p as stated above. Which fixes it for
that session. Problem is it won't survive a logout. A bit of an
annoyance that has been solved in other distros for well over a
year. An the 'survives a logout' is the only issue I responded to.

   I could care little what 'new font' is chosen, as like me, most
users choose their own.  It would be nice tho if g-f-p choices
would survive logouts.  NBFD, but it'd make me happier ;)

   OTOH, I've seen some weird numbers for dots per inch in this
thread.  Arkansas method is to physically measure the viewable
width of the screen an divide that into the horz resolution. EG,
for my 19.3 viewable monitor it's  1280/14.8" = 87dpi  I believe
the same info can be discerned from the monitors EDID. Bottom line
is KDE uses X info, Gnome uses a 96dpi default which is rarely
correct.

   That's what's important to me. If it's not to others, then NBFD,
I'll just keep runnin g-f-p on login to fix things up. As the OP I
responded to noticed.
--
    Tom Brinkman                   Corpus Christi, Texas