DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jul 8 20:25:49 UTC 2006

Tom Brinkman wrote:
>>>   Wrong!
>> You got any stats to back this claim?
>
>     I could ask you the same question, but in reverse to back up
> your claim.

Except that by your claims defaults dont matter because people change it
so often anyway. Considering the number of usability studies that show
the opposite I would be pretty skeptical of that.

>    Just about all users over 40 need reading glasses. Many users now
> have large screen monitors (> 17" viewable). Both situations beg
> for increased font sizes.  Many users install 3rd party, even M$
> fonts. There's countless posts on all Linux related ML's, NG's,
> Forums, etc., about font choices an changing and/or sizing them.
>
>    So why do WM's include the ability to change from default fonts
> and sizes? If "Most users dont change any font defaults".

There a number of preferences which users dont usually change. In other
words, just because there is a preference doesnt mean everybody is using
it.

>    The problem is mainly with Gnome, that uses such a small default
> font size, and an almost always incorrect default dpi (96). BUT,
> also includes a tool for changing font defaults, including dpi. The
> problem is these changes aren't preserved during logout.

You have a bug report on this again?

Rahul