conflicting i86 and x86_64 in repo?

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 14 22:27:55 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 18:31 +0530, Rahul wrote:
> tomhorsley at adelphia.net wrote:
> > I got conflicts last night that were complaining about some library being
> > needed by gnopernicus, so I did an rpm -q gnopernicus and found I had
> > two gnopernicus rpms installed,
>
> Can you post the exact error?

It was just the same old error I always get on at least one thing every
update
because a new library has shown up in the updates but something
installed
needs the old library to still exist. The specific gnopernicus error
seems
to be gone today, but here are a couple of new ones just like it :-)

Missing Dependency: libgsf-gnome-1.so.114()(64bit) is needed by package
gnucash
Missing Dependency: libdw.so.1(ELFUTILS_0.120)(64bit) is needed by
package systemtap

> > Or is it really legitimate to have two conflicting rpms like this?
> >

> Yes. RPM multi arch support works that way.

I guess I really really don't understand multi arch rpms then. For
instance,
the --list info for both the gnopernicus rpms claims they own the files:

/usr/bin/gnopernicus
/usr/bin/gnopernicus-mag-config
/usr/bin/srcore

yet the installed files are in fact ELF 64-bit executables, which seem
unlikely to
be packaed in an i386 rpm :-). Is there some doc somewhere that
clarifies this
multi arch stuff so I can perhaps reduce my confusion?