rawhide report: 20060714 changes

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jul 17 01:54:22 UTC 2006

Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On 16 12:55:S, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Tom Brinkman wrote:

>> Probably the cause was mkinitrd and the kernel locking up for
>> some reason and railing nash to peg the cpu. Killing nash during
>> the update and not killing yum or pup should work.
>>
>> Alternative way,
>> Jim
>
>     Thanks Jim, I believe you're right. FWIW, the last 3 kernels had
> the 'nash' problem. So for the last 2 I --exclude=kernel\* an do it
> only after the other updates are successful. It was probly that
> first 'nash' kernel that messed up the db, as I believe I did kill
> yum during that one.
>
>     Thanks again, an I'll try an keep this in mind

Also, there appears to be a problem with the newer kernels reporting the
right process ID numbers with these later kernels. Maybe this problem is
causing nash to consume all the cpu time when updating the kernels. In
any case, holding off on the kernel updates is probably best until the
kernel problem is pinpointed and time allows for the corrections to be made.
About updating the kernel, I do not do large updates any longer if there
  is a new kernel. I wait for the other programs to be applied and then
go through a smaller update for the kernel. Once bitten twice shy.

Jim

--
We had to turn off that service to comply with the CDA Bill.