'Safely Remove' doesn't umount

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 10:11:52 UTC 2006

On 7/29/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> Selecting 'Safely Remove' starts lots of flickering on the pen-drive and the
> laptop, but the icon remains, no mount or umount appears on the right-click
> menu, and the drive can be opened in konqueror from the right-click menu -
> obviously not umounted.

Sounds like a feature to me. Flash devices are mounted 'async' by
default, so data written to them gets stored in the kernel for a short
amount of time before 'syncing' and writing to the device; this way
series of changes can be combined into single writes, saving the
finite write cycles on the device. The 'Safely Remove' option probably
pushes any remaining changes out of the kernel onto the device, and
once there is no write activity remaining it is quite safe to remove
the device even though it's still mounted.

n0dalus.