DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call

Andy Burns fedora at adslpipe.co.uk
Fri Jul 7 15:18:02 UTC 2006

Tom Horsley wrote:

> For me, it turns out that the best settings are described
> by the dialog as:
>
> Font rendering: Best shapes
>
> In the details... dialog I have
>
> Smoothing: Grayscale
> Hinting: Medium
> Subpixel order: RGB (though that didn't really seem to
> have an effect if I changed it).

I think the subpixel order will only have an effect when subpixel
smoothing is selected, so with greyscale smoothing you'd expect no
difference.

I too tend to find greyscale easier on the eye than subpixel, the
rainbow fringing with subpixel is offputting (even with correct RGB/BGR
order)

though for the moment with DejaVu Sans I've left subpixel turned on.

> The fonts actually look OK on my 52 dot per inch display
> with these settings (on the other hand I didn't need to
> change anything to make the original fonts look OK :-).

52dpi, what display is that low?