DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 8 17:38:38 UTC 2006

On 08 11:39:S, Joel Rittvo wrote:
> Tom Brinkman wrote:
> > On 07 7:38:S, Rahul wrote:
> >> Most users dont change any font defaults
> >
> >   Wrong!
> >
> >> In Fedora, we try to be as close to
> >> upstream sources as possible
> >
> >    Which is why I switched from (years on) Mdv-cooker to
> > FC-test
> >
> >> and if those fixes were included in
> >> GNOME, they would automatically benefit all downstream
> >> distributions and users instead of tackling these kind of
> >> issues redundantly in every distributions.
> >
> >    Again you state Gnome centric mindset. More users use KDE.
> > This is not to start a vi/emacs type controversy, just reality.
> >
> >    Nevermind, I'll just keep runnin g-f-p after login to fix
> > Gnome apps under KDE.
>
> Tom,
>
> See if this applet, that installs into the KDE Control Center's
> "Appearance and Themes" section, helps you any.
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/gtk-qt

     bookmarked

> Joel

    OK, thanks Joel.  But, maybe, before I try it, I need to
understand an be sure how....

  "GTK-Qt Theme Engine
 The GTK-Qt Theme Engine is a project allowing GTK to use Qt
wiki:/widget styles.
 It behaves like a normal GTK theme engine, but calls functions from
Qt instead of doing the drawing itself."

   .... is gonna preserve Gnome (gtk) app font changes under KDE.
The fonts are the tool & task bar, dialog boxes, menus, tabs, etc.,
in gtk apps. Not theme an widget styles, or are you saying this
will affect gtk app fonts too?  It seems it will, but then you're
stuck with the 'GTK-Qt Theme'.

   FWIW, Tom's suggestion to use
 '/usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &'  works, but is just as much
bother as (my solution) runnin 'g-f-p &' an then clickin off the
GUI. Neither survives logout tho.  I've looked at xinitrc an
Xclients, but I'm not sure at all if this (these) are suitable
files for '/usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &', or where/how to
add.

   I know a solution exists, cause as I've said, Mandriva's (KDE
centric) had it for over a year, any theme.  An I don't think it's
an 'upstream' problem either. Even if it is, whose?  OTOH, since I
run rawhide, I'm really lookin for a permanent fix an not a hack.
I'm not tryin to be obstinate, but it appears I'm really better off
with my or Tom's work-around.  I gather from Rahul's comments that
this would be a 'Won't Fix' issue for FC.

--
    Tom Brinkman                   Corpus Christi, Texas