DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Sun Jul 9 04:13:19 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 19:14 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> And after installing DejaVu, they are less readable on
> fedora too :-(.

I tried these at work on Friday with a more conventional
1280x1024 19" CRT monitor, and didn't think they looked
particularly good with the default settings there either.

Weirdly, turning on the "subpixel smoothing" option
in gnome-font-properties made them look the best to me
(weird because subpixel smoothing isn't supposed to
have any effect on CRTs, but only on LCDs).

P.S. It seems to be the bold fonts I never like much,
the normal weight fonts always seem pretty good, but bold
always seems way too bold with too much "extra ink"
making the glyphs less readable (whereas bold is
usually supposed to be more readable :-).