Strangeness with recent FC5 update

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Jul 11 11:06:27 UTC 2006

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R (caf at omen.com) said:
>
>> Yesterday yum update installed a new kernel et al.
>> For some reason /etc/inittab was renamed to /etc/inittab.rpmsave.
>> rc.local got the same treatment.
>>
>> I had to use a live Linux CD to repair the damage before
>> FC5 would boot properly.
>>
>> Why would RPM mess with these files?  Any other files hosed
>> that I should worry about?
>>

> See bug 197906.
>
> Bill

Does yum update work differently than rpm -Uvh does?
If you use the update option to rpm and it is not installed, does it use
the install script vs. the update script?
What happens if a package is removed by yum, then updated via the update
script? Do some routines get skipped, like adding the files which were
saved by the package removal previously, which do not exist, but were
saved as the remove routine?

Just curious<
Jim

--
Beer -- it's not just for breakfast anymore.