GTK Styles and Fonts (was DejaVu fonts for Fedora Core 6 feedback call)

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 11 15:42:57 UTC 2006

On 08 8:13:S, you wrote:

> > >    OK, you talked me into it ;) 'yum install gtk-qt-engine'
> > >
> > >   BUT, as soon as I click on "GTK Styles and Fonts", kcontrol
> > > segfaults an disappears.
> >
> > I am not running Rawhide or a test version right now, so there
> > is probably some incompatibility just for the moment there.
> > You might want to try it again in a few days or weeks.  At
> > least with the rpm, you can remove it easily if it causes
> > problems.
> >
> > It actually lets you use any KDE style.  It has a "choice" to
> > "use my KDE styles with GTK applications" or you can specify
> > another style for it to use with GTK applications.  There is
> > also a choice for having it use your KDE fonts with GTK apps,
> > or you can chose a different font.  It is simply meant to be a
> > way to get some settings automatically sent to GTK apps from
> > within a KDE desktop.  They can be similar settings or
> > different settings as you choose.  I do think it will solve 90%
> > of your issues, but obviously it will need to run correctly
> > first!

    Sometimes I just havt'a wonder, I'm an idiot! I sux! ;)
Anyhow a lightbulb finally went off.... you didn't try gtk-qt-engine
as root. A definite PEBKAC.  So,

# yum install gtk-qt-engine  (a FC extras package)
# kcontrol

    Now, "GTK Styles an Fonts" didn't segfault kcontrol, an I was
able to properly configure everything but dpi. Logout/in an nothin
is fixed.  Another lightbulb, yeah but you only changed settings
for root user. So I ran kcontrol as user, this time choosin "GTK
Styles an Fonts" didn't sig11, an I was able to configure gtk apps
to use qt settings. Logout/in an Voila!! - FIXED!

     Thanks Joel ;)
--
    Tom Brinkman                   Corpus Christi, Texas