Strangeness with recent FC5 update

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Jul 11 16:00:47 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 07:06:27AM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> >
> >See bug 197906.
> >
> >Bill
> >

> Does yum update work differently than rpm -Uvh does?

'yum' is using rpm to do install/remove/update packages but yum
works in stages while 'rpm -Uvh', or 'yum -Fvh' which actually
should be used here, in some sense is "atomic" and that is
different.

When problems occur this is because for reasons yet unknown, I
think,  yum decided to erase first an old version of a package (at
this step all these .rpmsave renames happen) followed by an update.
You should see instead an update step followed by a cleanup.

I noticed something of that sort in some moment a while ago but this
was not for anything crucial and I could not reproduce that at all
and I put that to some my test system weirdness.

BTW - if you failed to pay attention to yum warnings (you really
should pay close attention to such things) and did not revert
"manually" clearly bad renames then you still should be able to
reboot in a single use mode and fix that.  A rescue boot should not
be really required.

   Michal