Strangeness with recent FC5 update

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Jul 11 23:17:05 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 06:00:37PM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> >
> >When problems occur this is because for reasons yet unknown, I
> >think,  yum decided to erase first an old version of a package (at
> >this step all these .rpmsave renames happen) followed by an update.
> >You should see instead an update step followed by a cleanup.
> >
> Thanks! I checked my system for any rpmsave files and none were found.

There are situations when you can see a legitimate .rpmsave file (an
old config file) _and_ a new replacement.  You may want to carry
over some customizations from an old file to a new one.  The other
possibility is that you deliberately removed some package and
changes you did are not automagically deleted.

In this particular situation we are talking about the trouble is
that you may end up, say,  with /etc/inittab.rpmsave but no new
/etc/inittab at all.  Such event may indeed cramp your style a bit.

> There are a few rpmnew files for repositories, unrelated of course.

Here you have new configuration files but your old ones should be
still "good enough".  Regardless you may want to check later how big
those changes are and either adjust what have already (some new
options or defaults may show up, for example) or simply remove
those .rpmnew to keep things clean.

And there is also a multilib situation where installed packages
for different architectures may produce .rpmnew.  A bit of a
nuisance but easy to check.

   Michal