Strangeness with recent FC5 update

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jul 13 22:00:49 UTC 2006

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 07:14:28AM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Pasted is the last files missing episode and .pyc files seemed to be the
>> problem.
>
> No that much of a trouble here.  Maybe by an accident?  These files
> are "precompiled" Python so as long as you have a corresponding .py
> file then you should not even notice during an execution that some
> files are gone.

>> missing     /usr/share/system-config-soundcard/probeCard.pyc
>> missing     /usr/share/system-config-soundcard/soundcard.pyc
>
> This seems to be an effect of a "cooperation" between yum and
> a way how that rpm package was put together.
>
> If you will try
>
>    rpm -qf --scripts /usr/share/system-config-soundcard/probeCard.py
>
> then you will see, among other things,
>
> preuninstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
> if [ -d /usr/share/system-config-soundcard ] ; then
>   rm -rf /usr/share/system-config-soundcard/*.pyc
> fi
>
> Why this was inserted there if 'system-config-soundcard' package
> owns these *.pyc files is a good guess.  Likely some "hysterical
> raisins".  Now yum does 'Update' and 'Cleanup', in that order,
> in a cleanup phase 'rm -rf ...' from the old package gets executed
> and you end up with missing files.
>
> Smells like a bugzilla time with reports about packaging.

Thanks! the problem hits me on a good portion of system-config-*
packages on a continued basis. Now that I realize that the cleanup yum
does is effected by the packaging problem in system-config-* (display,
samba, securitylevel, soundcard) seem to do this when new packages are
upgraded.

I'll run an rpm missing files query shortly and file the appropriate bugs.

>> missing     /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.13/chrome/overlayinfo/global/content
>
> A similar mechanism like above seems to in work here (but with
> mozilla/firefox packages there is even more fun :-).

There were more missing files until I ran a script within the mozilla
installed packages or extracted from the rpm via mc. I don't recall the
name of the script.
The bug report for mozilla is still going strong and no remedy has been
introduced. I guess when mozilla is orphaned the bug will b closed.

Jim

--
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.