Latest kernels and VMWare

Tom London selinux at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 21:38:43 UTC 2006

On 7/15/06, Jim Bevier <jim at jbsys.com> wrote:
> The last couple of kernels (2396 & 2401) create a problem with the
> vmware-config.pl script.  It seems the 2.6.18 kernel mods have changed where
> the definition of "UTS_RELEASE" is stored.  It used to be in version.h, now
> it is in utsrelease.h.  Manually adding "#include utsrelase.h" to the
> version.h file gets me past this problem.  It caused vmware to not be able
> to find the proper kernel include files.  One I get past this problem vmmon
> build fine, but building vmnet aborts with "unknown symbol
> 'lockdep_init_map'".  I guess this is some new kernel thing.  Does anyone
> know how to get around this error?  I like to test vmware and ntfs for each
> new kernel release.
>
> Jim

No easy way around this.....

The new kernel adds a new 'CONFIG_LOCKDEP' option that appears to add
some stuff (GPL code, I think) that 'breaks' the VMWare vmmon.

Here is a reference: http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/7/4/247

Looks like Petr (from VMWare) is working on it (I hope!).

Until then, the last kernel that I've gotten VMWare working is
kernel-2.6.17-1.2339.fc6. Don't delete that one!

tom
--
Tom London