kernel 2396 and 2401 will not install

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sat Jul 15 22:53:15 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 06:05:18PM -0400, Jason Montleon wrote:
> These two kernels appear to be hanging on the install

I think that this happens during a rewrite of /etc/grub.conf

> running the command rpm -ivvh installing these shows that they hang at the
> line that reads:
> /sbin/new-kernel-pkg --package kernel --mkinitrd --depmod --install
> 2.6.17-1.2401.fc6
>
> Any ideas why this might be happening?

Not really, but there is something "funny" with the latest kernels.
and I suspect that bug 199014 is related.

You can try 'pkill new-kernel-pkg' from another shell, does not
matter if you are running yum or rpm directly, and that should allow
you to finish although you will get an error from a %post script.
You will need to edit /etc/grub.conf yourself but a corresponding
initrd is already created.

At least from what I have seen.

   Michal