rawhide report: 20060714 changes

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jul 16 17:55:36 UTC 2006

Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On 16 10:56:S, Mike Chambers wrote:
>> On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 10:12 -0500, Tom Brinkman wrote:
>>>      I was hopin you or someone else might know ;)
>> I acutally ended up just using the mouse middle button.  I just
>> typed in yum remove and kept on highlighting and middle clicking
>> and doing that few at a time until they were gone.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Chambers
>> Madisonville, KY
>
>      OK, but it's still a PITA ;) And we still don't know what
> caused the issue, so there's a good chance it could happen again

Killing yum or rpm before they complete the cleanup phase will leave
database entries in the rpm database. I have killed either and had to do
a cleanup afterwards.
What worked for me was to go to the cache where the rpms were cached. I
knew I was bad, so I did not run yum afterwards. :-)
Anyway, from the cach directory with the yum packages, move any rpms
like the kernel out of the way. Then you want to run:
rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs --replacefiles *.rpm
on the cached rpms. This will clean the older packages out of the
database and leave only the latest version installed by overwriting the
files once again. Any bad rpms like zip for instance will exit, but
others should be one instance per program.

Probably the cause was mkinitrd and the kernel locking up for some
reason and railing nash to peg the cpu. Killing nash during the update
and not killing yum or pup should work.

Alternative way,
Jim

--
I want the presidency so bad I can already taste the hors d'oeuvres.