mass package removal (was: Re: rawhide report: 20060714 changes)

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sun Jul 16 17:59:09 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 09:52:57AM -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 09:35 -0500, Tom Brinkman wrote:
>
> >    Same situation here, an like you I fixed it. Then it occurred to
> > me to check for all duplicates usin the script at
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/yum?highlight=%28yum%29
>
> I probably have around the same dups that you had.  What is an easy way
> to remove the lower version without having to do it one by one?

Make a list of packages to remove, specifying versions and
architectures - of course, and feed that to yum

   yum remove $(<list_of_packages)

If you will get troubles because of failed scripts then use rpm
instead

  rpm -e --noscripts $(<list_of_packages)

although the later you may want to use only for packages where
'--noscripts', or maybe even '--nodeps', is really needed.

    Michal