Latest kernels and VMWare

Tom London selinux at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 15:01:15 UTC 2006

On 7/16/06, Jim Bevier <jim at jbsys.com> wrote:

> [...]
An update on this:

Petr (from VMWare) has prepared version 102 patches:
http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/vmware-any-any-update102.tar.gz

Unfortunately, 102 does not patch things up for Rawhide kernels (just yet?).

Here are the issues:
    1. With the new 102 patches, vmware-config.pl now properly 'finds'
the proper include directory.
    2. Although there is a patch to support the 'relocation' of
utsrelease info, the trigger is based on the kernel release being
2.6.18 or higher. Since Fedora does not bump the release until the
'real release' (i.e., it stays put at 2.6.17 for 2.6.18-rcX kernels),
the trigger does not function properly.  This is a minor problem that
can be easily worked around.
    3. With workaround for 2, vmmon compiles and successfully 'insmod's.
    4. Compile of vmnet succeeds, but insmod fails due to a missing
symbol (lockdep_init_map). Appears that a kernel source code change
(or some such) is needed (replacing
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(lockdep_init_map) with
EXPORT_SYMBOL(lockdep_init_map), perhaps).

Suggestion is to wait until 2.6.18-rc2 to try again:
http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=437430#437430

Until then, I am happily running/keeping my .2339 kernel when I need
to run VMWare.

tom
--
Tom London